Pullman Community Center
After sitting vacant for two decades, in 2018 12 acres of land at 103rd street immediately west of the expressway were transformed into the Pullman Community Center (PCC). Offering more area for sports and activities than any other facililty in the Chicago area, the 135,000 square foot Center provides unparalled year-round indoor space for sports, recreational and educational opportunities. While designed with the area’s youth in mind, the PCC has become a destination for people of all ages, drawing more than 2,000 people a week.
The $20 million PCC features:
- Three full-sized indoor turf playing fields for baseball, soccer, football, and lacrosse
- Three hardwood courts for volleyball and basketball
- Four batting/pitching cages
- Concession area with eight large screen televisions
- 1,200 square-feet of classroom space
- Flexible space for tournaments, community meetings, special events for 400 people or more
Sports programs include skills training and coaching, league and tournament play in baseball/softball, basketball, soccer, volleyball, karate, and pickleball. In addition to after-school recreational activities, the PCC offers educational programs for youths that include everything from using technology, reading, writing and math tutoring to preparation for the college admissions exams.
Programming is led by the Chicago Park District and the Roseland Youth Center who organize and operate tournaments, leagues, clinics, and year-round programs that attract athletes and spectators from the community, neighboring areas, and across the Midwest.
The PCC has created many economic, social and health benefits for the community, Chicago, and region. Support for the PCC comes from national and local businesses, major manufacturers, philanthropic organizations and individuals, and Chicago’s professional sports teams.
For additional information about programs, activities or renting space at the PCC, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 773.928.1000 or visit www.pccindoorsports.com.
- Project: Community Center
- Location: Chicago, IL
- Year One Results:
- Serves more than 120,000 people annually.
- College scholarships totaling more than $7 million awarded to local high school seniors
- 130-plus college football scouts’ combine took place at the PCC
- High school seniors enrolled in the PCC’s 5:30 Scholars program achieved a 1437 average on the SAT
- Launched new healthy living and lifestyles weekly program in tandem with the University of Illinois at Chicago, and hosted ongoing 9th Ward “Resource Fairs” providing access to employment opportunities, health care services, and more
- Created 100 full- and part-time jobs including employees from Chicago Creating Real Economic Diversity (CRED), a workforce development program